Re: xinetd license possibly violates DFSG #4

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:17:25PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > At the same time, I'm struggling to determine an essential distinction
> > between a single de-facto closed-universe project, and a vast collection of
> > such projects (which all works licensed under the GNU GPL could be said to
> > be).
>
> Parts of works under the GNU GPL (or other compatible licenses) can be
> incorporated into other projects under the GNU GPL (or other compatible
> licenses).  I don't think this makes it a "closed-universe project",
> although perhaps the entire collection of such projects could be
> considered a "closed universe".
>
> Parts of works under a patch clause license cannot be easily
> incorporated into other projects (regardless of those other projects'
> licenses), unless the entirety of the other project is considered to be
> a patch on the part of the patch-clause-licensed work.  This becomes
> even more difficult when incorporating material from more than one such
> work.

Hmm, that does appear to be a telling distinction.  You may have identified
why our "patch clause" exception makes me so uncomfortable.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It's like I have a shotgun in my
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mouth, I've got my finger on the