Re: xinetd license possibly violates DFSG #4

Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure blanket acceptance of "closed-universe" projects is
> really a good idea.  I'm not sure it serves our users very well, and I'm
> pretty confident it doesn't serve the Free Software community very well.
>
> At the same time, I'm struggling to determine an essential distinction
> between a single de-facto closed-universe project, and a vast collection of
> such projects (which all works licensed under the GNU GPL could be said to
> be).

Parts of works under the GNU GPL (or other compatible licenses) can be
incorporated into other projects under the GNU GPL (or other compatible
licenses).  I don't think this makes it a "closed-universe project",
although perhaps the entire collection of such projects could be
considered a "closed universe".

Parts of works under a patch clause license cannot be easily
incorporated into other projects (regardless of those other projects'
licenses), unless the entirety of the other project is considered to be
a patch on the part of the patch-clause-licensed work.  This becomes
even more difficult when incorporating material from more than one such
work.

- Josh Triplett