Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

Raul Miller wrote:

<snip>
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:32:36PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> WTF? Have you read the GFDL?
>
> Yes.
>
>> "A 'Secondary Section' is a named appendix or a front-matter section of
>> the Document that deals exclusively with the relationship of the
>> publishers or authors of the Document to the Document's overall subject
>> (or to related matters) AND CONTAINS NOTHING THAT COULD FALL DIRECTLY
>> WITHIN THAT OVERALL SUBJECT." (emphasis added)
>
> So?
>
> There's nothing that says that the entire document must be composed
> of only secondary sections -- and near as I can tell this point you're
> trying to make would only make sense if the entire document could only
> be composed of secondary sections.

Huh?  Please try to think clearly, Raul.

The GNU Emacs Manual contains an Invariant Section -- a "Secondary Section"
-- called the "GNU Manifesto".

He wishes to make a derivative work, based on the GNU Emacs Manual, where
the overall subject is software freedom.

In order to legally make and distribute this derivative work under the GFDL,
(1) the derivative work must include the Invariant Section
(2) the derivative work must not include any Invariant Sections which are
not Secondary Sections (because no work licensed under the GFDL may do
that)

But the GNU Manifesto is not a Secondary Section for the derivative work.
So these two conditions contradict each other, meaning that distribution of
the derived work is not permitted.

In other words, for the GNU Emacs Manual, no derived works whose main topic
is software freedom are permitted.  An accidental but extremely obnoxious
result.