Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:32:36PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> WTF? Have you read the GFDL?

Yes.

> "A 'Secondary Section' is a named appendix or a front-matter section of
> the Document that deals exclusively with the relationship of the
> publishers or authors of the Document to the Document's overall subject
> (or to related matters) AND CONTAINS NOTHING THAT COULD FALL DIRECTLY
> WITHIN THAT OVERALL SUBJECT." (emphasis added)

So?

There's nothing that says that the entire document must be composed
of only secondary sections -- and near as I can tell this point you're
trying to make would only make sense if the entire document could only
be composed of secondary sections.

> > You'd havr even worse problems if you tried to include examples from
> > two sources which had incompatible licenses.
>
> This has nothing to do with incompatible licenses. Both licenses are
> GFDL. It has to do with the GFDL limiting (unintentionally) what can be
> the topic of a derivative work.
>
> This is the same thing as when a license says "you can't use this code
> in nuclear power plants"; its "you can't use this text in a essay on
> freedom."

I don't see how that could be true.

Unless, that is, you have the idea that the document must be composed
only of secondary sections and nothing else.

--
Raul