Re: European Directive on Copyright Law (91/EC/250) wrt open source

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:58:45PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-05-07 11:48:55 +0100 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>
> >	Council Directive 91/250/EEC 14 May 1991; enacted in the UK as S.I.
> >1992
> >No. 3233
> >does anyone here know what site can be used to obtain the document
> >SI 1992 no 3233?
>
> It is on
> http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1992/Uksi_19923233_en_1.htm
> (where you may also find the original Act). It amends the Act, so it
> should already be in the copy you have seen. The other part describes
> the transition to the amended Act.
>
> Remember that UK copyright is quite different to some other EU states
> laws.

 i notice in particular that 50B says you may not disclose
 what you decompile [to a higher level language] to any party except
 those involved in the decompilation process.

 that is 1) _not_ in the 91/EC/250 directive that i saw three years
 ago 2) _not_ in the 91/EC/250 directive that i see now.

 that stops - dead - any benefit by the open source community to
 perform reverse engineering, because it explicitly says that you
 may not release the source code.

 ... regarding EU directives: are individual governments _allowed_ to
 go beyond the bounds of the EU directives (in the implementation into
 law)?

 l.