Re: European Directive on Copyright Law (91/EC/250) wrt open source

On 2004-05-07 17:38:32 +0100 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:

that stops - dead - any benefit by the open source community to
perform reverse engineering, because it explicitly says that you
may not release the source code.

Only the decompiled code may not be released and the idea (the interface) may be released, IIRC.

... regarding EU directives: are individual governments _allowed_ to
go beyond the bounds of the EU directives (in the implementation into
law)?

Yes, unless a particular action is forbidden by a directive, I believe. Your national MEPs' office can probably verify that.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.