Re: LCC and blobs

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:
>> Lots of people cannot write or modify C code, but we accept as free
>> many programs that include C code.  The user being inexpert in some
>> technique does not render a thing non-free.
>
> But something being *not software* does render it *not software*.

dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/bios bs=1k skip=960 count=64

will happily present you with a copy of your system firmware (assuming
you're on x86). If you run ndisasm over it, you'll find it's x86 machine
code. You can even extract bits of it and run them. It looks awfully
like software. The fact that you lack the skills to turn it into
something that you recognise as software doesn't mean it isn't software.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org