Re: Draft summary of Creative Commons 2.0 licenses (version 2)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:12:32 -0500 Branden Robinson wrote:

> > The summary is also available here:
> >
> > 	http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.txt
> > 	http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html
>
> I have seen no indication that this summary has become final, despite
> the fact that it only prompted one objection (from Sean Kellogg[1], a
> virtual paroxysm of dismay in which he apparently didn't even read the
> entire of text of the summary).

I haven't seen either.

> What is required to move forward on this?

I think that a message from Evan stating that the summary is to be
considered final should suffice...

> Do we *need* to move forward on this?

I really think that we *need* to clarify our position about current
Creative Commons licenses!

Those licenses are non-free, even the most permissive ones.
And they are getting more and more widespread: their issues are going
unnoticed by the majority of people, not to mention those who like their
problems (claiming that they are good features, rather than flaws).

We should recommend against adopting those licenses, and, in the
meanwhile, try and persuade CC to fix them (at least the ones that could
become DFSG-compliant without changing their very nature: of course you
cannot fix CC-by-nc-nd-2.0 and make it free, unless you thoroughly drop
it...).

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4