Re: GPL compatible license?

Thanks for your input!

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> >      Permission is hereby granted for copying and distribution of copies of
> >   the Elm source files, and that of any part thereof, subject to the following
> >   license conditions:
> >
> >         1. You may, without additional permission from the authors, distribute
> >            Elm or components of Elm, with or without additions developed by
> >            you or by others at no charge.  You may also distribute
> >            Elm along
>
> "at no charge" is ambiguous -- do they mean that they grant this
> license at no charge to me, the distributor?  Or do they mean that
> I must not charge those to whom I distribute?  Given the following, it
> looks like it requires me not to charge for Elm.

To me it reads like a permission to distribute Elm or parts of Elm at no charge
with or without modifications developed by me or others.

> >            with any other product for sale, provided that the cost of the
> >            bundled package is the same regardless of whether Elm is included,
> >            and provided that those interested only in Elm must be notified
> >            that it is a product freely available from the Elm Development Group.
>
> This is GPL-incompatible, since it governs how much I may charge for
> Elm.

The GPL says:

| You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
| you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

How do these two conflict?

> I'm not convinced that it's Free, since the usual "package with the
> trivial program" work-around doesn't appear to apply.

Just distribute Elm (or, I guess parts of Elm, but I'm not sure, am I right?) on
a CD or floppy disk at the same price you would charge for the medium without
Elm (or parts of Elm).  That could mean expensive CDs but should fit the
requirement.  At least that's how this issue was interpreted back in 1997
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1997/10/msg00537.html>

> >         2. You may, without additional permission from the authors, distribute
> > 	   copies of the Elm Documentation, with or without additions developed by
> >            you or by others at no charge or at a charge that covers the cost of
> > 	   reproducing the copies, provided that the Elm copyright notice is
> > 	   retained.
> >
> >         3. Furthermore, if you distribute Elm software or parts of Elm, with
> >            or without additions developed by you or others, then you must
> >            either make available the source to all portions of the Elm system
> >            (exclusive of any additions made by you or by others) upon request,
> >            or instead you may notify anyone requesting source that it is
> >            freely available from the Elm Development Group.
>
> I have to continue to maintain a source archive and provide it on
> request -- even if I originally provided source?
>
> I'm not convinced that this is free.

| or instead you may notify anyone requesting source that it is
| freely available from the Elm Development Group.

Doesn't this read that one may also tell people to get the entire
pristine source from the Elm Development Group?   By providing this
license to the users, they are told so already.  If not, what am I
missing?

Regards,

	Joey

--
MIME - broken solution for a broken design.  -- Ralf Baechle