Re: ELM Copyright

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Juan Cespedes wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > In Aachen Richard Stallman complained that elm is located in our main
> > distribution while it should has a non-free copyright.
>
> 	From /usr/doc/elm-me+/copyright:

>         1. You may, without additional permission from the authors,
>         distribute Elm or components of Elm, with or without additions
>         developed by you or by others at no charge.  You may also
>         distribute Elm along with any other product for sale, provided
>         that the cost of the bundled package is the same regardless of
>         whether Elm is included, and provided that those interested
>         only in Elm must be notified that it is a product freely
>         available from the Elm Development Group.

that sounds like free software to me.

> 	IMHO, with thats license, `elm' cannot be sold alone.

that's not true.  you can sell elm on a disk by itself as long as you're
prepared to sell a blank disk for the same price.

That's about as onerous a condition as being required to give/offer
source code if you distribute a binary.

admittedly, it's a pointless condition and the authors should probably
be encouraged to get rid of it but the software still qualifies as free.

> So, it's not free.  It should be moved to non-free.

free.  it should stay where it is.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract