Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:36:51PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:33:59PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> d-i is modular. The module that provided that functionality would be
> >> likely to do little of any use without the presence of contrib.
> >
> > So, libdvdread3 making use of libdvdcss by having libdvdread.so.3
> > dynamically open and use libdvdcss.so if it's there is OK; but if
> > the code that did this was itself in a small stub module (dvdread3
> > opening /usr/lib/dvdread/libdvdcss-loader.so), that stub module
> > would have to have its own package in contrib.
>
> If the stub module were in its own package, it would fairly clearly end
> up in contrib.
>
> I don't think we have any desperately good consistency here.

It seems to me that you're saying the only acceptable way a package in
main should be able to use software not in main--at all--is via generic
module systems, never actually referencing the non-free code at all,
since the stuff referencing it would be contrib.  I don't see any benefit
to that extremely strict interpretation, but you're free to pose it,
or some alternative, to d-project (?) if you like.

However, at present, I seriously doubt there's any problem--according to
current practices--with d-i being able to install stuff from contrib.

--
Glenn Maynard