Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Regardless of whether this dependency is expressed in our package
> management system, most drivers depend on non-free firmware.

They depend on the presence of appropriate and properly functioning
devices, which are typically implemented using non-free firmware.
That's very different.

Consider the parallel to AIM clients: we allow AIM clients, but not
AIM clients that have to have a user-provided CD with the server code
on it, and transmit the server code to AOL's machines!

-Brian