Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> I don't understand how there's any disagreement in this case: it's clearly
> software, covered by the DFSG (or at least the one Debian will be using
> soon), it's required (a Depends), and clearly non-free.

On the other hand, if it's clearly software when it's on CD then it's
clearly software when it's on eeprom. If it's a dependency when it's on
CD, it's equally a dependency when it's on eeprom. The only distinction
that can be drawn is whether or not it ends up on the user's hard drive.
Surely the storage mechanism used does not alter the freeness of
something?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org