Re: a legal problem with 'filters' in germany

also sprach Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> [2004.10.22.1943 +0200]:
> I don't think Germany's laws about how to properly cover up
> history can possibly make software non-free.

I don't think it's a proper way to cover up history anyway.

> I sympathize with the situation of German mirror-operators and
> developers, but it's not so much a matter of law as policy whether
> Debian will remove software from its archive to make some nations
> happy.  If we do that, why not remove crypto for France and
> tunneling software for China and Emacs for the USA?

Well, we did have an entire non-US archive for the longest time.

I am not sure what the situation is in other countries, but is it
actually illegal to distribute certain software, or just illegal to
use it?

PS: What's this about emacs and the US anyway?

`. `'`