Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:

It does pose a direct problem for Debian, as we may not have a valid
GPL license grant from upstream -- because *his* license under the GPL
may have been revoked.

-Brian

Am I correct in my reading of the GPL that the upstream losing his license is only a problem for people receiving the software from him after the revocation occurs? As I understand it, any existing copies distributed to others before the revocation receive a license from the original author, that is only revocable should the recipient do something to violate the GPL.

Therefore (if my reading is correct), this is not a pressing problem, until/unless Debian starts distributing code that was distributed by the upstream after his infringing action?

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL IANADD