Re: Is this software really GPL?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > <quote>
> > > I strongly suggest that you read the following two web pages:
> > >      http://easyco.com/initiative/openqm/opensource/index.htm
> > > and the accompanying faq:
> > >      http://easyco.com/initiative/openqm/opensource/faq.htm
> > > </quote>
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:48:33PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Yeah, those webpages are basically indicate that they haven't read
> > the GPL and don't understand what it means at all.
>
> That's what I thought at first.
>
> Rereading it, I think those pages are OK.  Basically, all they seem
> to say is that if you distribute under the GPL you have to supply full
> sources to what you distribute.

Yeah, which is an additional restriction not present in the GPL.

The primary problem is that they're construing that list as a set of
restrictions against when you can use the GPLed version, which doesn't
fit with the GPL at all. [You can always use a GPLed program, you just
can't violate the terms of the GPL itself.]

It's possible that they have done this unintentionally, and intend
this list as merely a "what does using the GPLed version mean I have
to do?" query, rather than an "in order to use the GPLed version you
must do (or not do) the following" list.

Either way, it really needs some clarification.

Don Armstrong

--
Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
 -- Tussman's Law

http://www.donarmstrong.com                   http://rzlab.ucr.edu