Re: Is this software really GPL?

Note: I've left Anthony Youngman's email address in the headers, but I
seem to have a local problem where email to Anthony bounces. [I can work
around that, using telnet, but it's a pain.] > > <quote> > > I strongly
suggest that you read the following two web pages: > >
http://easyco.com/initiative/openqm/opensource/index.htm > > and the
accompanying faq: > >
http://easyco.com/initiative/openqm/opensource/faq.htm > > </quote> On
Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:48:33PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote: > Yeah,
those webpages are basically indicate that they haven't read the > GPL
and don't understand what it means at all. That's what I thought at
first. Rereading it, I think those pages are OK. Basically, all they
seem to say is that if you distribute under the GPL you have to supply
full sources to what you distribute. -- Raul

Sorry for lookout mangling my cut-n-paste - this isn't quite a proper
reply ...

Did you look at the thing about subsidiaries ... if you *choose* to
distribute *source* to your subsidiaries, you are then *obliged* to
*publish* your source to the *world*!

Imho this sets off the GPL's self-destruct clause (6 and 7) with the
result that you can't distribute under the GPL because you can't give
your recipients the freedom to distribute to whomsoever they please ...

Cheers,
Wol

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.