Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

"Marco d'Itri" <md@Linux.IT> writes:

> moth@debian.org wrote:
>
>>That would probably depend on the license on the non-free drivers.
> We are not discussing non-free drivers, but 100% free (usually GPL'ed)
> drivers.
>
>>One problem with "non-free drivers in downloaded firmware" is that they
>>can be licensed such that not everyone who owns the hardware can use
>>the firmware.
>
> Why should this be worse than firmwares distributed on flash, which is not
> even explicitly licensed at all?

Because I don't need a license to use the firmware on flash, and I
never need to make a copy or distribute any copies other than those
bought and paid for, and covered by first-sale -- the copyright owner
already got his royalty when I bought the device.

Anybody with the card can sell it, give it away, modify it in place,
or use it with any driver.

-Brian