Re: Is javacc DFSG compliant?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> > Or a license "you must acknowledge that any damage you might suffer as a
> > result of using this software is no greater than 99 cents"?
> That sounds like a weaker version of the warranty disclaimer in the GPL.

I don't think so.  The GPL's warranty disclaimer basically says "there is
no warranty", not "the user must acknowledge that there is no warranty".
It's the act of the software developer that is disclaiming the warranty,
not the act of the user.

> >  If not, why is
> > "you must acknowledge <something that might put you at a disadvantage in
> > court>" free?
> Presumably because acknowledging the truth of something that is true
> is no burden.

If acknowledging the truth was no burden, then that clause wouldn't even be
there.  Sun put it in because a user who acknowledges the truth in that
fashion is burdened compared to a user who does not.