Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

"Marco d'Itri" <md@Linux.IT> writes:

> lists@aurel32.net wrote:
>
>>On the other side, if it is possible to distribute the firmware in the
>>non-free section (I have to ask that to Texas Instrument), the package
>>of the driver will have a Depends: or at least a Recommends: on the
>>firmware package. In that case it seems that the driver has to go in
>>contrib.
> Right, the package in main should not depend on an hypothetical package
> from non-free.

So rather than ship the driver in contrib and the firmware in
non-free, you're suggesting that the driver go in main and the
firmware not be shipped at all, even though that reduces the
functionality of the driver to "Error: no firmware found."

That seems as clear a dependence as any other foo and foo-data package
in the repository.