Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Marco d'Itri a écrit :
aurel32@debian.org wrote:

Your driver can be compiled and successfully executed without the
firmware, so it should go in main because it's free software. As you
correctly stated, the card needs a firmware, not the device driver.
The hardware device may not perform useful work until its firmware has
been loaded, but we distribute the driver and not the device.
On the other side, if it is possible to distribute the firmware in the non-free section (I have to ask that to Texas Instrument), the package of the driver will have a Depends: or at least a Recommends: on the firmware package. In that case it seems that the driver has to go in contrib.

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer