Re: JRockit in non-free, part II

Johan Walles <walles@mailblocks.com> writes:

> [...]

Because Debian would have signed it, but nobody else would have.
Debian would have executed a contract, in which in return for
consideration BEA granted a licence to Debian.  Nobody else would have
received that license.

>> [...] But that's a pretty basic requirement even for non-free: that
> Debian,
>> its mirrors, users, and forkers be able to distribute code.
>
> By section 2.1, mirrors wouldn't have a problem:
>
> "
> 2.1 Distribution License.  BEA grants Distributor a non-exclusive,
>   non-transferable license to (i) Reproduce and bundle or otherwise
>   include the Software together with the Value Added Solution, and
>   (ii) sublicense and distribute the Software, either directly or
>   indirectly through multiple tiers of distributors, for use by End
>   Users who agree to be bound by an End User Agreement.
> "

Nope.  Mirrors don't get agreement from end users, and Debian has no
interest in forcing end users to agree to anything.

Mirrors are also not merely distributors -- consider some Mirror
shipping this software in one place and some sort of Value-Added
Solution in another.

> Mirrors would be covered by "indirectly through multiple tiers of
> distributors".  Forkers would have to sign their own redistribution
> agreement.  I'll wait with covering end-users until I understand why
> it would be required to let them re-distribute :-).

What if an end-user starts up his own mirror?  Not all the mirrors are
registered with Debian.  For example, many colleges and companies run
private Debian mirrors, distributing only to their students or
employees.

-Brian