Re: JRockit in non-free, part II

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu>
To: Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net>
Cc: Johan Walles <walles@mailblocks.com>; debian-legal@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:21:14 -0400
Subject: Re: JRockit in non-free, part II

In any case, that would create a Debian-specific license, which isn't
even enough for non-free.

Why not? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand why this would be so?

[...] But that's a pretty basic requirement even for non-free: that
Debian,
its mirrors, users, and forkers be able to distribute code.

By section 2.1, mirrors wouldn't have a problem:

"
2.1 Distribution License.  BEA grants Distributor a non-exclusive,
 non-transferable license to (i) Reproduce and bundle or otherwise
 include the Software together with the Value Added Solution, and
 (ii) sublicense and distribute the Software, either directly or
 indirectly through multiple tiers of distributors, for use by End
 Users who agree to be bound by an End User Agreement.
"

Mirrors would be covered by "indirectly through multiple tiers of distributors". Forkers would have to sign their own redistribution agreement. I'll wait with covering end-users until I understand why it would be required to let them re-distribute :-).

 Regards //Johan

Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email
http://about.mailblocks.com/info