Re: Free Art License

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> The Original (the work's source or resource):
>> A dated example of the work, of its definition, of its partition or of
>> its program which the originator provides as the reference for all
>> future updatings, interpretations, copies or reproductions.
>
> wtf? This definition does not make sense.

In the context of electronic works, no.  I believe that it makes more
sense for physical "pieces of art", in which case it is meaningful to
distinguish "The Original" from a copy of the original.

>> 2.3 Freedom to Modify
>>
>> You have the right to modify the copies of the originals (original and
>> subsequent), partially or otherwise, respecting the conditions set out
>> in article 2.2 , in the event of distribution (or representation) of the
>> modified copy. The author of the original may, if he wishes, give you
>> the right to modify the original under the same conditions as the copies.
>
> This is confusing, but appears to grant permission to modify the work,
> at least in all cases we care about. I'm not sure what it means to only
> modify a copy (because I can't figure out the definition of original,
> above), but at least (as has been mentioned) with electronic works,
> copies are very easy to make.

I think it's a strange way of saying "the author may or may not
incorporate your changes".

> PS: Please get a better translation of this license.

Agreed.

- Josh Triplett