Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:
[...]
> On the other hand, I find this message interesting:
>
>   http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/8/19/111
>
> In particular, he seems to be relying on German "Authors' Rights", and
> claims to be in discussion with Debian people.  That's nearly a month
> ago.

Hello,
This was about the recent change of license in a36 that was widely covered in
the news, e.g. lwn or heise.de
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/006193.html

We (cdrools Debian maintainers) were in indeed private contact with Joerg about
this and successfully managed to resolve this, a38 undid the newly introduced
non-freeness issue, the code in question (linuxcheck()) is not encumbered by a
specific license anymore, it may be removed like anything else.

This is resolved and completely orthogonal to this thread, so please ignore it.
                  cu andreas