Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Måns Rullgård <mru@mru.ath.cx> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>>
>>> Joerg's changes are clearly non-free; I've not seen anybody arguing
>>> otherwise. We basically need to route around him at this point, and
>>> fork from a previous free version. His ridiculous statement that his
>>> new statements also apply to older (GPL) versions of cdrtools should
>>> just be ignored as the puffery that it is IMHO...
>>
>> While legally you're right, I think from a point of view of politeness
>> you're wrong.
>
> Go read some postings by JS and you won't feel any need for
> politeness.

I've read them.  It doesn't seem any worse than the drivel which shows
up here regularly.  Joerg tells Alan Cox he doesn't know anything
about Linux systems or security.  People here say things about that
ridiculous once a week -- you've seen them too.

On the other hand, I find this message interesting:

  http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/8/19/111

In particular, he seems to be relying on German "Authors' Rights", and
claims to be in discussion with Debian people.  That's nearly a month
ago.

-Brian