Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

Glenn Maynard writes:
>On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:19:26AM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
>> <Joerg Schilling>
>> Please note that this is just the way I interpret the GPL and as this
>> is my software, users should follow my interpretation of the GPL and not
>> use their own different interpretations.
>
>This came up previously:
>
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/10/msg00398.html
>
>I concur with Mathieu Roy: this is not an interpretation that follows
>from the GPL.  The GPL clearly says you can do certain things and can
>not do certain other things; this "interpretation" contradicts the
>text of the GPL.
>
>I don't think it's safe to distribute a work where the author says one
>thing in his license text and a different thing in his "interpretation".
>This person does not want the GPL; he wants something else.
>
>I do not believe that granting a license and then applying a bizarre
>"interpretation" or "clarification" to those terms is an acceptable
>approach to setting license terms.
>
>I also don't think Debian should distribute works that claim to be under
>the "GPL" when they're being modified by weird "interpretations".
>
>(This is only my own opinion, of course, and not necessarily Debian policy.)

Joerg's changes are clearly non-free; I've not seen anybody arguing
otherwise. We basically need to route around him at this point, and
fork from a previous free version. His ridiculous statement that his
new statements also apply to older (GPL) versions of cdrtools should
just be ignored as the puffery that it is IMHO...

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer