Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:41:07PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>>The following is an example of an unacceptable opinion for a Debian
>>applicant:
>>
>>>5a. The GNU Free Documentaion License (FDL) has been heavily
>>>discussed on debian-legal recently. Read
>>>http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html and
>>>briefly explain how you feel about the including documents licensed
>>>under the FDL in main and what consequences of this position might
>>>be for Debian.
>>
>>Debian should ignore licenses and include everything in main.
>
> That's a poor answer because the applicant clearly doesn't understand
> the issues involved.  Debian of course cannot legally do that.
>
> That said, I fully agree with that opinion.  Dealing with licenses is
> cumbersome, time consuming, and largely a waste of time.  If it were up
> to me, there would be no licenses and copyrights.  Everything would just
> be free.  Does that mean I don't belong in Debian, simply because I have
> little desire to scrutinize licenses?

There is a big difference between saying "there would be no licenses and
copyrights.  Everything would just be free.", and saying "despite there
being licenses and copyrights, we should ignore them".  I agree with the
former, but not the latter.

- Josh Triplett