Re: GPL "or any greater version"

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:32:51PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> No, because it specifically says that it's at *my* option -- the
> recipients -- both in the grant "GPL v2 or, at your option, any later
> version" and in GPL 9.

The question isn't what permissions you can use; it's which permissions
*you must grant* to others.  That is, is not granting permission to use
newer versions of the GPL--which is, essentially, a restriction--a violation
of GPL #6?

It seems there are two rough interpretations: that "v2 or later" is dual-
licensing (or "dual, triple, etc-licensing"), and GPL#9 merely explains
that, affirms it and recommends it; or that GPL#9 makes an explicit
licensing requirement of it, such that it becomes "locked in" by GPL#6.

The answer isn't clear, which is why I punted to the FSF for their view.
The answer I received was from a "licensing volunteer".  I assumed that
what they'd say is canonical--considering they're the ones answering
licensing@gnu.org--but the feeling I received after the last exchange
was that "official" word on this has to wait for a reply from higher
up.  I assume that this may be an issue that hasn't been asked very
often, and the person replying isn't really sure.

--
Glenn Maynard