Re: A short licence check

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 06:19:36PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > There's no such thing as a copyleft MIT license.  Fundamental to the
> > concept of the MIT/BSD license is that they're permissive--they let
> > you do whatever you want, placing very few restrictions on the work.
> > "Permissive" and "copyleft" are conflicting adjectives for a license,
> > in my opinion.
>
> It's more or less a clone of the MIT license, but with a copyleft
> clause tacked on.

Which makes it nothing at all like the MIT license, despite looking similar.

I'm only nitpicking on this point because I don't want unnecessary
confusion over the BSD and MIT licenses.  This is one reason I didn't
like the "BSDPL"; the "BSD" name associated it with the BSD license
despite having nothing in common with it, which can confuse casual
licensors (most free software authors).

--
Glenn Maynard