Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:29:51PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:09:52PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> >> * I can't fork the code, even distributing as patches.  There's no way
> >>   for me to make XEmacs, which is FSF Emacs + code by people who won't
> >>   transfer copyright to the FSF.
> >
> > This part I find particularly interesting, because I see the freedom
> > to fork as fundamental.  I don't understand your reasoning, though.
> > Can you explain what would go wrong if I tried to create an XOcaml?
>
> INRIA downloads it and incorporates the neat features into the
> proprietary version, which they sell to others.

How does that stop you from forking the code?

Are we using different meanings of "fork", perhaps?  If I fork a project,
I don't mind if the original maintainers then give up their branch and
use mine.  In fact, it validates my decision.

Richard Braakman