Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

O Xoves, 12 de Agosto de 2004 ás 11:29:50 -0400, Michael Poole escribía:

> > * Licenses like the QPL, which compel me to give somebody more rights
> >   to my work than I had to his, are not Free.  They are not compatible
> >   with DFSG 3.
> This is where you lose me.  How is that incompatible with DFSG 3?  If
> the license says that Entity X gets extra rights (perhaps being the
> author of the original software), what prevents Author Y from
> releasing modifications under the same license terms ("Entity X gets
> extra rights to modifications")?

 You're talking about a license as "a document with license terms written on
it". He's talking about a license as "a set of permissions the copyright
holder grants".

 With this meaning, DFSG#3 would ask that anyone who distributes a modified
work be able to give the recipient the exact same permissions she received
from the copyright holder. If she gives a modified QPLed work to me, for
instance, the permissions are the same, but if she distributes a copy to the
original copyright holder, she would be forced to give him permissions she
didn't originally receive.

--

   Tarrío
(Compostela)