Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:24:30AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> OK.  You believe QPL 3 is free, and you seem to have thought about it
>> a bunch.  So please explain to me how to do the following:
>>
>> 1. Modify a QPL'd work.
>> 2. Because of the license under which I received the material,
>>    distribute patches representing the modifications.
>> 3. Distribute them to the initial developer under the same license --
>>    that is, without letting him distribute changes to my patches (such
>>    as the application of them to the mainline source) except as
>>    further patches.
>>
>> I don't see a way to do that, but DFSG 3 says I should be able to
>> distribute under the same license.
>
> Notice that you can distribute patches under any licence you well please. Only
> binary distribution of them force you to put them under the QPL, which is
> clearly the same licence as upstream has given you.

No, I'm not talking about the copyleft in QPL4.  I'm talking about QPL
3b, and its compelled grant of a more permissive license to the
initial developer than I received from him.  I can't give him my
modifications under the same license under which I received the work
from him.

That means this conflicts with DFSG 3.

-Brian