Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:37:56PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> This is a totally valid concern, and I'm glad it keeps coming up, but I don't
> feel like it's enough to paralyze any attempt to modify the DFSG. I'm
> definitely against haphazardly modifying foundational documents (and the recent
> GR showed many ways how such a thing should not be handled) but at least
> attempting to do so might be warranted.

Sure, I'm not trying to do that.  I havn't seen any proposed amendments to
pick apart, though, except for the special case for choice of venue.

> One possibility for something like -legal-announce would be to post an initial
> mail like "Someone has requested that foo license be reviewed for package bar.
> This license also applies to packages bas, etc". This would let people
> subscribe to a low volume list, and if anything they're interested in goes
> under review, they could join the discussion. I could see posting these things
> to -devel or -devel-announce, but this strikes me as rather ugly.

It's fairly easy to say "we're debating the QPL; this may affect these
packages ...", but it's very hard to do the same for a specific restriction,
which is probably what you're really looking for.  The best that could be
hoped for is common language to grep for, which usually works to a degree,
but it's not reliable ...

--
Glenn Maynard