Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: New ocaml licence proposal.

Sven Luther wrote:
> Ok, after a first contact with upstream, there seems to be some informal
> agreement to modify the ocaml licence to the following text :
>
>   http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocaml/copyright?view=markup&rev=502
>
> Changes are :
>
>   a) Modified clause 3a to allow for adding authors to and translation of
>      copyright notices.
>
>   b) Removed clause 6c.
>
>   c) Removed choise of venue mention in the Choice of Law.

Wonderful!

I would like to state that with these modifications, I personally have
no further objections to the new license, and believe it to be a Free
Software license, assuming that the issue with modifying the QPL
directly is handled.

Thank you very much for working to get this issue resolved.

> So this solves most of the issues, and we need to go through the QPL 3b again,
> but upstream feels it is a reasonable clause, and would like to keep it.

I believe others have a problem with QPL 3b; however, I personally do
not, and I think the license you point to above is now acceptable
(again, assuming the copyright on the QPL itself is satisfied).

> Also the first modification, well, i am not overly confident that it is really
> needed, and i am sure my wording of it are abysmal, and i ask for some help
> here in finding some nice and concise wording which doesn't divert to much
> from the original. The old wording was :
>
>   a. Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices
>      in the Software.
>
> And i changed it to :
>
>   a. Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices
>      in the Software except by adding new authors.

Given that the patch clause prevents you from altering or removing the
original work at all, which would include the copyright noticies, I
would say that both of these are fine.

> One last trouble i have is that the QPL 1.0 state :
>
>           Copyright (C) 1999 Troll Tech AS, Norway.
>               Everyone is permitted to copy and
> 	      distribute this license document.
>
> So, this would make it illegal to modify the QPL as i have done here, right ?

Yes.

> Another way the upstream author has been suggesting was to keep the QPL 1.0 as
> is, and saying that ocaml is under the QPL 1.0 licence, except that clause QPL
> 6c and the Choice of venue part of the Choice of Law clause doesn'y apply.

Right.  "As an exception, you may ignore clause 6c and the choice of
venue entirely." would work.  Also, TrollTech has stated that other
licensors who use the QPL may change the choice of venue, so removing
that shouldn't be a problem.

- Josh Triplett