Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: Final (hopefully) new ocaml licence proposal.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 05:39:06PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Also the first modification, well, i am not overly confident that it is really
> > needed, and i am sure my wording of it are abysmal, and i ask for some help
> > here in finding some nice and concise wording which doesn't divert to much
> > from the original. The old wording was :
> >
> >   a. Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices
> >      in the Software.
> >
> > And i changed it to :
> >
> >   a. Modifications must not alter or remove any copyright notices
> >      in the Software except by adding new authors.
>
> Given that the patch clause prevents you from altering or removing the
> original work at all, which would include the copyright noticies, I
> would say that both of these are fine.

So, the original was ok, and doesn't really need to be changed.

> > Another way the upstream author has been suggesting was to keep the QPL 1.0 as
> > is, and saying that ocaml is under the QPL 1.0 licence, except that clause QPL
> > 6c and the Choice of venue part of the Choice of Law clause doesn'y apply.
>
> Right.  "As an exception, you may ignore clause 6c and the choice of
> venue entirely." would work.  Also, TrollTech has stated that other
> licensors who use the QPL may change the choice of venue, so removing
> that shouldn't be a problem.

This is also the position of the upstream author. I give this another try. The
copyright file found at :

  http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocaml/copyright?rev=530

Now reads :

  The Compiler is distributed under the terms of the Q Public License
  version 1.0 (included below).

  As a special exception to the Q Public License version 1.0, you may ignore
  the QPL 6c clause completely.
                              Choice of Law
  This license is governed by the Laws of France.

Would this be ok to solve both the QPL 6c problem and the choice of venue
issue ?

I will thus submit this modification upstream if there is no problem with it
here, and upload the changes once the emacs files which started all this issue
are solved, which i was promised they would be during the second half of
august.

Friendly,

Sven Luther