Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 03:12:44PM -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> In broad strokes, what we're trying to accomplish with the patent clause
> is this:  we're giving a license to our patents (and our copyright) in
> exchange for not being sued by the licensee over patent infringment.
> Note that this isn't a license to the licensee's patents.  This just
> basically says that we can revoke our patent grants if the licensee
> chooses to take legal action against us.

That may be what you meant to say, but it's not what the license
actually says. What it currently says is:

If you initiate a lawsuit against anybody that stipulates this program
infringes any patent, then you immediately lose all rights to modify
and distribute the software (would be "use" as well, except that
absent idiotic DMCA-like laws, that can't be restricted).

Which is quite gratuitous.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |