Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance

Hi Matthew,

Yes, it probably was me you spoke to at GUADEC, though there were so
many new faces, I have to admit to losing track of everyone I met.

In broad strokes, what we're trying to accomplish with the patent clause
is this:  we're giving a license to our patents (and our copyright) in
exchange for not being sued by the licensee over patent infringment.
Note that this isn't a license to the licensee's patents.  This just
basically says that we can revoke our patent grants if the licensee
chooses to take legal action against us.

It's hard to be more specific than that.  I could envision us narrowing
the scope to "software patents" or something along those lines, but
beyond that, it's very difficult to be more narrow without unilaterally
disarming ourselves in a defensive patent stand.

Rob

--
Rob Lanphier, Development Support Manager - RealNetworks
Helix Community: http://helixcommunity.org