Re: More questions about the QPL for compilers and other things

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:32:47PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> I see compilers -- and not just LISP compilers -- all the time, which
> claim to control how their output may be used.  The intel compiler,
> for example, has an expensive license if you wish to build products
> for commercial sale.  Metrowerks Codewarrior used to be under a
> similar license; I assume it still is.

I always thought those came from EULA terms, not by virtue of the output of
the compiler being a work derived from the compiler; certainly, I don't
recall seeing a permission to distribute compiled programs in a
non-commercial fashion.  It's been a while since I've had a look at a EULA
for a proprietary development environment; GCC does the job for me.

- Matt