Re: More questions about the QPL for a compiler

* Brian Thomas Sniffen:

> My understanding of the Ocaml compiler is that it emits part of itself
> into its output.  Not all of itself, not even most of itself, but a
> noticeable and copyrightable part.  I know this is the case for most
> compilers, and see no reason it wouldn't be for Ocaml as well.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The only compilers which do
this are some Lisp and FORTH compilers (but normally, you wouldn't
call the latter "compilers").  All other compilers I've seen (for C,
C++, Pascal, Ada, Java and some I don't recall right now) don't do
this.

You're probably talking about the run-time environment that is linked
into the resulting binary, but this is typically a component that is
well-separated from the compiler itself (Lisp and FORTH are exceptions
here).  As a separate component, there's no trouble licensing the
run-time library under different license terms, and this happens all
the time.