Re: More questions about the QPL for a compiler

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 04:07:34PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Yes, I understand that the runtime library and such are LGPL'd.  But
> the compiler, when it compiles a loop, for example, does it in a
> particular way.  The patterns of assembly code output by the compiler
> -- not the parts in the library linked in, but the part actually
> written out by the compiler -- are part of the compiler.  And they end
> up linked with my code.

Unless there is far more to an OCaml compiler, I don't see a big difference
between this issue and gcc.  They both perform mechanical translations of
data from one format to another.  It's a fairly tricky and involved
transformation, but giving the same code to the same compiler at two
different times will result in an identical output -- which I have a vague
recollection is one of the tests of "creative work".

- Matt