Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:01:57PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> luther@debian.org writes:

> >>I agree with that assessment, with the exception that you should not
> >>have to publish your code to the general public, only to those you
> >>distribute the binary to.  The GPL's "offer to provide source for 3
> >>years" is questionable in isolation, but irrelevant since one can
> >>provide source along with binaries and have no further obligations.
> >>Even if you do the same with the QPL, by distributing both source and
> >>binary to another party, your obligations have not ended, because the
> >>copyright holder may still request those changes.
> >
> > Well, simply configuring your SVN/CVS/ARCH/Whatever archive to spam upstream
> > with every change done should resolve all the issue. Or maybe giving him
> > consultation access would be enough.
>
> Spamming upstream is not enough.  You have to provide one on request,
> even if you just sent one.  Additionally, now you're suggesting doing
> away with the ability to make private modifications.

Bullshit, you have provided it before it was asked, so where is the problem ?

Also, about private modifications, 6c only applies to 'distributed' code, so
it in _NO_ way comes into play when doing private modifications.

> > The cost of hoarding the source of every version you have released may be
> > high, but it hardly makes the licence non-free. It is good practice anyway,
> > and maybe even elementary courtesy to the people you distribute the binary to.
>
> And if my backups fail, and my drive is gone, what then?  I can't
> comply with the license.

Well, yes. The same applies with GPLed when using the 3 year clause though,
and the GPL is not non-free because of it.

And then, well, this is bad luck to you, i have thought about the same, and i
guess it will be upto the judge to decide if you really lost your disk, or if
you are only pretending.

Still a time limit on this one would be reasonable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther