Re: Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

>Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

>>>It has an "archive all distributed copies until the expiration of copyright"
>>>requirement (QPL#6 has no expiration!), which is far more onerous, IMO.
>>
>> As I said elsewhere, I'm unconvinced by that. At any point you can avoid
>> this by releasing the code to the general public. But that's an entirely
>> separate point to the one that was being made.
>
>I agree with that assessment, with the exception that you should not
>have to publish your code to the general public, only to those you
>distribute the binary to.  The GPL's "offer to provide source for 3
>years" is questionable in isolation, but irrelevant since one can
>provide source along with binaries and have no further obligations.
>Even if you do the same with the QPL, by distributing both source and
>binary to another party, your obligations have not ended, because the
>copyright holder may still request those changes.

Well, simply configuring your SVN/CVS/ARCH/Whatever archive to spam upstream
with every change done should resolve all the issue. Or maybe giving him
consultation access would be enough.

The cost of hoarding the source of every version you have released may be
high, but it hardly makes the licence non-free. It is good practice anyway,
and maybe even elementary courtesy to the people you distribute the binary to.

Friendly,

Sven Luther