Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:07:11 -0400 Glenn Maynard wrote:

> A license that goes out of its way to
> make freedoms hard to assert (possibly with the goal of preventing
> them from actually being asserted) shouldn't be considered free.
>
> Making freedom harder to assert is restricting freedom.

Indeed.
An example: modifying a binary executable through reverse engineering or
by disassembling/decompiling it is clearly possible, though difficult.
In order to exercise our freedom to modify free programs, we demand
access to source code.

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,