Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:01:55AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Notice those have a special exception in the DFSG -- such impositions
> > are non-free in general, but as a particular exception, patch clauses
> > are Debian-Free.
>
> Right, which indicates that we have nothing in principle against minor
> technical awkwardnesses.

Patch clauses are not a "minor technical awkwardnesses"; they are a major,
onerous hurdle to free software development.  They would be clearly and
obviously (to me) non-free, without the special, explicit exception in
DFSG#4.

I certainly hate seeing people attempt to use DFSG#4 as a lever to allow
other major obstacles.

--
Glenn Maynard