Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:56:47AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-07-12 07:49:55 +0100 Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
> >At least, not as the DFSG is currently written.  You could propose
> >that
> >GPL-compatibility be a DFSG criterion.  It might pass.
>
> I think restrospectively justifying a "Holier than Stallman" tag with
> such a decision is unlikely to happen. The MIT/X11-style licences are
> fine for some tasks.

I'm not so sure it would be a bad idea, but perhaps I've been unduly
influenced by one of David A. Wheeler's essays[1].  :)

However, given that we don't have any control over the content of future
versions of the GNU GPL, and don't know to what extent we will be invited
to participate in deliberations regarding the content of the GNU GPL v3, I
would be loath to take an action that may compromise our organizational
independence.

That's quite apart from the perception issue you noted, which I find
credible enough.

[1] http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Those who fail to remember the laws
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    of science are condemned to