Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 01:49:55AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I see; what sort of DFSG violations do you consider "minor"?

Minor is relative, and depends on context.

In the context of GPL compatability [which I think the current context
is], "minor" means "things which would automatically be dealt with
if the GPL incompatability issues were resolved".

More generally, I think the most important issues for us are:

[*] porting (to other platforms)
[*] maintenance (especially security fixes, but not only)
[*] translation (to other human languages)
[*] legal distribution (especially for our mirror operators, b...)
[*] interoperability (especially compliance with important standards)

Secondary issues [these fall under "maintenance"] include:

[*] modularity (providing good machine interfaces)
[*] performance (not doing unnecessary things)
[*] consistent documentation (lots of bugs fall in this category)

These are incomplete lists.

Minor issues in the general case are issues which don't advance important
issues [such as the above] as causes.

> > It's ok to say: here's the big problem, and here's some other areas of
> > concern that you might want to think about.
> >
> > It's misleading to say "this is a problem" when we accept licenses as
> > DFSG even though they have "this problem".
>
> Which licenses do we accept as DFSG-free even though they have "this
> problem"?

That's for you to say.

> Please be careful about putting words in my mouth.

Ok.

> The GNU GPL is often a good choice for a license, but we are not an organ of
> the Free Software Foundation, and DFSG-freeness is not predicated on
> GPL-compatibility.
>
> At least, not as the DFSG is currently written.  You could propose that
> GPL-compatibility be a DFSG criterion.  It might pass.

I'm satisfied with DFSG#10, thanks.

Note also that in this case we're talking about a license which represents
itself as GPL compatible.

> > > Eh?  What's with this scare-mongering, slippery-slope argument?
> >
> > It's the literal truth.  You've advanced a claim that "if the license
> > requires something of value, the license cannot satisfy the DFSG".  And,
> > the GPL requires something of value.
>
> You have elided "in exchange for rights under the license".

That's implicitly true of any license clause.  Sometimes this is stated
explicitly, for clarity, but if you violate a license clause you open
yourself for legal action on the basis that you're not following the
license.

> One you undertake actions regulated by copyright law, something that would
> otherwise be yours becomes the property of Best Practical LLC.
>
> This is not a characteristic of the GNU GPL.

Agreed.  And the Best Practical license declares itself GPL compatible.

> The GNU GPL *does* require that you transmit something of value -- or an
> offer to do so -- alongside *other* things of value when you distribute
> them to another party.  Best Practical's license has an invisible hand that
> reaches into your life from afar and asserts property claims over something
> that would otherwise be yours.
>
> This, to me is an essential and important distinction.  Perhaps you don't
> agree.

I like this expression of the concept.

> > > You either do not understand my objection (this calling into your question
> > > your dismissal of it as "insignificant"), or you are deliberately
> > > misrepresenting it.
> >
> > I prefer to think that you've expressed your concept unclearly.
>
> If I haven't expressed myself clearly, then it's quite likely you don't
> understand me, no?

Exactly.

--
Raul