Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:

>The "dissident test" does sound very silly the way it is described in
>the FAQ. Perhaps the FAQ should give a realistic example as well as
>the memorable but silly "dissident" example. A realistic example might
>be a group of people doing something that someone else might consider
>to be an infringement of their patent; to avoid problems they want to
>avoid letting other people know what they are doing. Or they might
>want to avoid revealing a perfectly legal business plan. In general, a
>free software licence should allow privacy of a group.

I'm also unconvinced by these examples. The first sounds like "A free
software license should allow for small groups to avoid lawsuits while
breaking the law", and the GPL can damage a wide range of perfectly
legal business plans.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org