Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Glenn Maynard wrote:

>I believe the more reliable DFSG#3 is to the point.  It requires the
>right to make derived works--any derived works, not "derived works,
>as long as you're willing to give the initial developer a copy".

I'm not sure I buy this. Surely the GPL #7 effectively restricts the
scope of derived works I can make and distribute to those that don't
infringe upon actively enforced patents? Isn't that a more onerous
restriction?

>If not, then it seems like it's a poorly-executed version of the GPL's
>"apply restrictions to linked works by treating the result as a combined
>work", and DFSG#3 also applies.  (Taken at face value, it's also license
>contamination, DFSG#9.)

With the exception of the desert island and dissident scenarios, are
there any cases where the effects of QPL 6 are worse than those of the
GPL's requirements?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org