Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:25:11PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> >Matthew Garrett said on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:02:34AM +0100,:
> > > Am I reading a different license here? The copy of the QPL at
> > > http://www.trolltech.com/licenses/qpl.html says:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Something can be distributed  without making the whole thing available
> >to the public.
>
> Yes. I know. But read the context - Nathaneal said "If the user is
> really doing stuff privately -- just for himself! -- and happens to talk
> about it, he certainly shouldn't be forced to distribute it before he's
> ready! This is no issue at all.". The QPL does not oblige you to do
> anything if "the user is really doing stuff privately". It *only* comes
> into play when the user wants to distribute.

But what is distribution?  I would contend that it is any time a copy is
made which would (by default) be disallowed by straight copyright law[1].
Hence, distributing my modified version of QFoo to the machines in my server
farm would result in my being required to send a copy to the original author
if I happened to blog about it and he read it.

Worse still is the case where I lose the source to the modifications at some
later stage.  I cannot comply with the original author's request; am I then
to be sued for copyright infringement because of that?  I pulled my modified
QFoo off my servers ages ago; nevertheless, distribution occured, and the
original author is within his rights under the licence to require me to
provide my modifications.

Another issue that just popped into my head -- can *every* "original author"
request a copy of my changes?  If the Linux kernel was QPL, could I be
required to send thousands of copies of my software to every person who had
a copyright interest in the Linux kernel?  Starts to sound like a *very*
onerous restriction to me.

- Matt